Wednesday, July 27

Of Mouse And Melody

Months ago now, in my Facebook account, I recorded a dream I had in the Notes app there. It went as follows:
February 11, 2011

For Sevilla? No, ... Granada, a dry place it was ... I asked the gent who worked at the info desk for a map. He gave me one, a very old map, yellowed over the years ... In a resort now in what I believed to be Granada, on a midday with the sun shining high. The place bore an earthen tone ... an enclosed garden there to the right and to the left a stairway leading to the roaring sea. It seemed that the place was masterfully carved out of a cliff for it transitioned seamlessly with it. I video taped a mouse. The take was all in slow motion. It moved to a melancholic tune of one by Andrés Segovia (though I don't fully know whether I ascribed the piece to the right classical guitarist, nor of its title; but it is still playing in my head at this very moment) as it made its way along the garden hedges. It leapt onto a water fountain that was in the middle. Just then a kiss on his cheek. The gent, dressed in white, was taken aback, though not slighted; the lady with long, brown, curly hair who was guilty of the act, innocently smiled and remarked apologetically: "Tell your wife I'm sorry. That's just how we greet each other here."

I dreamt of Spain, a place I've never been.
Today in class, we watched a video on the Mendez vs Westminster case, a truly significant event in history that effected not only the desegregation of California schools, but also became an incentive that brought in a similar change to the rest of the nation. But moving away from this topic now, in the video, I heard that same melody that was in my dream recounted above. Here I just wanted to ascribe the melody to its rightful composer and give you the title (below, you may click on the title to be able to hear the piece). I've researched a bit about the musical piece. Coincidentally enough, this instrumentation was inspired by the gardens of Palacio Real de Aranjuez. It was also written in 1939 "amidst the tension of the impending war." In my dream there was the garden where the mouse was. Could the roaring sea allude to the war?
Concierto de Aranjuez - Adagio
Joaquín Rodrigo
Paris, 1939

No comments:

Post a Comment